For the third and final time this season, the Maple Leafs and Panthers will square off in what should be an exciting game. The Leafs have won the first two meetings of the season, dating back to Feb. 18, (3-0) and Mar. 26 (3-2).
For the past week, there’s been a big buzz going around Leafs Nation. Why? Well last Saturday they clinched a spot in the playoffs for the first time since 2004 with a win over the Ottawa Senators.
Tonight, however, the Leafs have the chance to wrap up their Florida road trip with a win, as they’re coming off a loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday.
The team has enjoyed the Florida sun since Sunday and will travel back home after tonight’s game, as they get ready to close the season with a showdown against the Montreal Canadiens this Saturday.
Here are some game notes I’ve gathered for tonight’s Maple Leafs – Panthers tilt, which is expected to start at 7:30 p.m EST.
- While playing on a Thursday, the Maple Leafs are 5-6-1.
- The Maple Leafs all-time record while playing the Panthers in Florida: 14-12-5-1.
- In 46 games played, the Maple Leafs lead the league in fighting majors with 44.
- After 46 games, the Maple Leafs lead the league in blocked shots with 789.
- The Maple Leafs lead the league in hits with 1536 after 46 games played.
- The Maple Leafs penalty kill is 106-for-116 (91.4%) over the last 25 games (Feb. 7 – Apr. 24), which included a stretch of seven games without allowing a power-play goal (Mar. 30 – Apr. 15). The Leafs PK currently sits 3rd in the league.
- Phil Kessel leads all Toronto players in goals with 10 in 25 games against the Panthers. Kessel also has 1 goal and 2 assists against Florida this season.
- Be sure to keep an eye on Cody Franson tonight as he only needs one point for 100 career NHL points.
- Last 10: Toronto 5-4-1, Florida 3-7-0.
- Maple Leafs while playing on the road: 12-8-2.
- Florida while playing at home: 8-10-5.
- When Toronto played the Panthers, in Florida on Feb. 18, the attendance was 17,117.
Be sure to swing by my twitter for anything Maple Leafs and hockey related at @Dale_Lamontagne