Dave Nonis spoke with TSN Toronto 1050 Bryan Hayes this afternoon and really spoke to what should be happening over the next several months. While he stated that he was upset, he also spoke glowingly regarding the Marlies current and future prospects. Some highlights from the conversation:
– Leafs have close to the highest amount of first round picks on their reserve list, future looks bright.
– Says effort has been inconsistant, and at times the team looks confused. Takes responsibility for not providing the proper veteran talent to help the youth through the ebb and flow of an NHL season.
– Immediately dispels the notion that Dion Phaneuf is a bad captain.
– Says cap space will not be an issue, expects higher cap next season as well as entry level bonuses no longer counting towards the cap.
– Says the Leafs can and will continue to bury salary for cap space.
– Asks for patience from fans as the management group will not try to get a quick fix by trading youth.
First Round Pick possibilities
Bob Mackenzie speaks with James Cybulski regarding the Leafs possible lottery pick. Mackenzie says that the Leafs will most likely keep the pick to help continue to fill the cupboard. Centre was the theme of the position that may fall in the Leafs selection space and Mikhail Grigorenko, Alexander Galchenyuk, and Philip Foresberg were all names mentioned as targets.
Don Cherry will be thrilled
Toronto found their first wallet this offseason in Hobey Baker finalist and Maine Black Bear Spencer Abbott. The 5′ 10″ Native of Hamilton Ontario played four season for Maine